Use the Participant Guide with the Seminars Here
The Participant Guide is a succinct version of the Devout Life Seminars. It is “recommended for group study.” Individuals may also use this version.
RECEIVING THE FLAME OF LOVE
Your Baptismal Life
- When you were conceived, your parents formed your body. At that same moment, God created your soul.
- Although you were so tiny at birth, your body contained all your faculties, your bodily organs, your emotions, your intellect and your will. In the years ahead, you would grow into an adult.
- When you were baptized, God created a new life of grace (just for you). This grace, too, was tiny but contained all the powers you needed to gain heaven. You have a capacity to receive infinite life.
- At Baptism, God placed His plan in your soul, the saint He intends you to be.
- He also gave you the capacity to receive His Flame of Love.
- To receive that Flame, you must return to your Baptism.
- Probably, you were just an infant when the priest baptized you. Today, as an adult, renew your Baptismal vows to be ready to receive this Flame.
- Do you renounce Satan? Do you renounce all his works?
- Say the Apostles Creed
Receiving the Flame
- Right now, picture yourself clothed in white, spotless and free from all sin. (You are not sinless, but Mary will bring you to that point by her Immaculate Conception).
- Picture yourself entering a blazing fire. Have no fear. The fire is filled with warmth and love. You are in Mary’s heart.
- By entering the fire, you surrender to the Flame so it can lead you for the rest of your life.
Yourself With Mary
- Picture yourself remaining in the Flame. Allow the fire to burn away your selfish tendencies and multiply your virtues (you have many virtues. Everybody does!)
- In this Flame, you experience a presence. Someone else is here. It is Mary. You are within the inner chambers of her heart. Rest there a while.
- As you stay in her heart, Mary asks you a few questions. Listen to them with your heart.
- Do you want my Flame of Love?
- Will you receive my Flame with all your heart?
- Will you allow my Flame to purify you?
- Are you willing to become one being with the Flame?
- Will you spread my Flame to the whole world?
- As Mary asks the questions, your desires grow. You want Mary’s Flame of Love with all your heart. It is the pearl of a great price, and the treasure in the field. You are so happy to sell all you have to gain the Flame.
- Take time. Repeat the questions slowly.
The Ceremony: The Passing On of the Flame
- Receive a lit candle, a powerful symbol of what is happening inside you.
- You gather with many others. All seek to receive this Flame.
- This powerful Flame gathers and unites all of you. You feel a special oneness with the others, a unique friendship. All are receiving.
- As you take the candle into your hands, be still and quiet. Our Lady is doing a great work within you. Accept whatever feelings flow within you. These are important signs of her gift.
Experiencing the Flame
- No need to hurry. Take time to receive the Flame fully. First, let the Flame enter by your external senses. Look at it and experience its warmth. Then, let it fill your imagination and feelings. Gradually it fills your intellect with great light. Finally, it arrives at the very center of your person. Your free will embraces the Flame and places it firmly on the lampstand of your heart. Jesus is finally your King.
- Do not hurry. Our Lady is pouring out the effects of the grace of the Flame of Love. This moment is holy and sacred. You will not realize all she has done for you this day. The effects will unfold slowly and powerfully.
- You belong now to Mary. Give this heavenly Flame complete control over your life. Remember, the Flame is Jesus Christ Himself.
- Our Lady will pour out this Flame in great abundance. She wants you to spread the Flame to the whole world. Begin with your family and friends (and even your enemies).
- You must take two more steps. First you must become a member of a Flame of Love community, joining with those who have prepared you to receive the Flame. Secondly, you must set out on the road of perfection so you will become a saint.
- The final seminars will explain these two gifts. Much more is to come. You have taken the first step on Our Lady’s Path.
- Try to explain your thoughts and feelings as the Flame was passed to you.
- What were your deepest experiences?
- What special graces do you believe Our Lady gave you?
- What road do you see ahead? Where is Our Lady leading your footsteps?
- Do you experience a great zeal to pass on the Flame?
DAILY BIBLE READING
During the week, please read the themes of the following texts that explain this seminar.
Day 1 Mary praises God’s generosity in giving her Jesus, the Flame of Love.
Day 2 The Baptism of Jesus is our model of receiving the Flame.
Day 3 Jesus reveals His identity as the light of the world.
Day 4 The Ethiopian rejoices to accept the gift of Baptism.
Day 5 So many times, the gospel of Luke speaks about the treasures in Mary’s heart.
(Luke 1:15-20: Luke 2:33-35; Luke 2:48-52)
Day 6 St. Paul explains the full effects of your Baptism.
Day 7 Paul tells Timothy to constantly stir up the flame of the Holy Spirit.
(2 Timothy 1:1-8)