Prayer: O Jesus, be the Lord of my life.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with his disciples in the grain fields.)
This controversy is not about picking off heads of grain,
(which was an accepted practice), but about picking them on the Sabbath. This controversy allows Jesus to pronounce that persons are more
important than the law. Jesus goes further and proclaims that he is
Lord even of the Sabbath (a divine attribute).
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
As Jesus and his disciples walked through a field of grain on the Sabbath, his
disciples began to pull off the heads of grain. The Pharisees said to Jesus, “Why do they do what is unlawful on the Sabbath?”
Jesus answered, “Have you not read what David did when he and his men were hungry? He went to the house of God under Abiathar, the high priest, and ate the holy bread
which only the priests were allowed to eat?
Jesus said to them, “The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. The Son of Man is lord, even of the sabbath.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- The disciples are enjoying the new freedoms in Jesus’ Kingdom.
- The Pharisees are still outside the Kingdom, still judging by Old Testament standards.
- Jesus points to David’s freedom in using the sacred loaves. This prophetic action
foreshadows the new Kingdom.
- Jesus makes his pronouncement. Man is the first object of God’s love. Everything in Jesus’ Kingdom is meant to bless man.
- Claiming that he is Lord of the Sabbath, Jesus reveals the great mystery. He is God and shares the Father’s authority.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, lead me into your new freedom. I will be an example to others.
- Free me from narrow-mindedness. Open me to your thoughts.
- Feed me the new Bread of Life. Give me to drink of your Blood. These are the food of eternal life.
- O Father, you made the whole world for me. I am the object of your infinite love.
- Jesus, you are God. You are Lord of the sabbath. You are my king. Everyone else is an imposter.
Resolution ((Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Everywhere, I will seek my new freedom in Christ.
- I will make Jesus my Lord, fully serving his interests.
Thought for the day: (Recall this text during the day)
The Son of Man is Lord, even of the sabbath.
Get neat CSS code with the new free online tool hosted by HTML Cleaner. Try it today!