Prayer: Draw near, O Lord, so I can touch you in faith.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus surrounded by the crowds who are healed as they touch him.)
In this section, Mark pauses. Jesus tries to get out of the limelight by
spending time with his disciples. However, his fame has spread. He must get
into the boat, because of the
More important is the crowd’s desire to touch Jesus to be healed. Later (5:25), Mark will give a deeper teaching on the need for personal faith.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus left with his disciples, but a great crowd from Galilee and Judea followed him. They came even from Jerusalem and beyond the Jordan. Many from Tyre and Sidon came because they heard what he had done.
Jesus asked his disciples to have a fishing boat ready in case he was
swarmed by the crowds. He healed so many that all who had illnesses pressed upon
him so they could touch him.
When unclean spirits saw him, they fell down before him and cried out,
“You are the Son of God.” He strictly commanded them not to make him known.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus does not exalt himself. He avoids the limelight and enjoys being hidden with his disciples.
- However, the people recognize his powers and they seek him out in great numbers.
- The need for the boat shows the size and enthusiasm of the crowds.
- Their faith is rewarded by miracles and casting out of demons.
- These demons have superb intellects. They know Jesus’ identity. However, they are subject to his power.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you are truly meek and humble of heart.
- I recognize your great powers, and I come to you in faith.
- Nothing will hold me back. I will press in. I will touch you by faith.
- O Jesus, let your power go forth into my feelings, my desires, my body and my soul.
- Cast out all my demons of anxieties, depression, and self-hatred.
- By your power, make my inner voices be silent.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Today, I will bring my greatest problem to Jesus.
- I will use Jesus’ name to take power over my inner anxieties.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
All who had illnesses pressed in to be healed.