Prayer: – O Jesus, come to me. When you come, help me to recognize you.
Imagination: (Picture John at the Jordan River, seeing Jesus among the crowd.)
In this gospel, Jesus does not get baptized. Instead, the Baptist recognizes Jesus and introduces him to the world as the
Lamb of God. Twice, The Baptist admits that he did not recognize Jesus, even
though that was his divine call.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
The next day, John saw Jesus coming to him and said, “Behold the Lamb of God.
Behold him who takes away the sin of the world. “About him, I have said, “After me comes someone who ranks ahead of me because
he was before me.” I did not recognize him, even though the very reason I was
water was to reveal him to Israel.”
John also gave this testimony, “I saw the Spirit as a dove from heaven and it
rested upon him. I did not recognize him even though the one who sent me to
baptize with water
had said to me, “On whomever you see the Spirit descend and remain upon, he is
the one who will baptize in the Holy Spirit.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- God had prepared John well for his task. He knew what he was supposed to do.
- Although Jesus had spent some time with him, John never realized that Jesus was the Lamb of God.
- Suddenly, he receives a divine revelation. Supernatural wisdom helps him to realize Jesus’ identity.
- John fulfills his task. He tells the world that Jesus is the Lamb of God.
- Jesus will take away the sin of the world, pouring out His Holy Spirit after he ascends into heaven.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, prepare me for my task in your Kingdom.
- How often you are close to me and I do not realize that you are near.
- Reveal yourself, Jesus and I will rejoice.
- Take away my sins. Cleanse me forever. Baptize me afresh in the Holy Spirit.
- Pour out your Holy Spirit. My heart awaits your divine fire.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will prepare for whatever task God has for me.
- Today, I will ask the Holy Spirit to enlighten me.
Thought: (Recall this text during the day)
I saw the Spirit coming down upon Him.