Come Holy Spirit. Reveal the glory you have prepared.
Picture James and John seeking favors from Jesus.
Jesus has just told the apostles that he would come in glory. With great ambition, James and John want that glory. Before granting any glory, Jesus must enter into his Messianic glory by drinking the cup. This cup means both his suffering and the Eucharistic cup celebrated in Mark’s Church.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- These apostles have no idea of the costs of the Kingdom’s glory.
- Jesus tells them that they seek what they do not understand.
- Even with this warning, they glibly say that they can drink the chalice.
- Jesus sees the future. After many failures, they will drink the chalice and will be martyred.
- The highest glory, however, is reserved for others.
- Such is the Kingdom! God has already prepared each one’s place and his decisions are beyond our comprehension.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, enlighten me about the greatness of your Kingdom.
- Pull me into the great mystery of your will.
- Help me to drink your chalice.
- O Jesus, You have prepared my place in glory.
- O Jesus, Your only desire is to share your glory with me.
- You have already made me so many promises.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will find time for mental prayer so God can reveal the Kingdom to me.
+ I will cherish God’s will, both on earth and in heavenly glory.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
The Father has already decided my place in heavenly glory.