Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit. Give to me Joseph’s fidelity to God’s plan.
Imagination: (Picture Joseph receiving the angel’s message).
Luke tells us about Mary accepting her role as Mother of God. In Matthew’s gospel, the stories focus on Joseph’s dilemma. How does an upright Jewish man resolve the dilemma of a pregnant fiancé? Joseph is a justman.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about. When his mother Mary was engaged to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found with child by the Holy Spirit. Joseph, an upright man, unwilling to expose her to the law, decided to divorce her quietly.
Such was his intention, when an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in sleep. “Joseph, Son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, because the child has been conceived by the Holy Spirit. She shall have a son whom you will call Jesus. He will save many from their sins.” All this happened to fulfill what the Lord said, “A virgin shall be with child and bear a son, and they shall call him Emmanuel, meaning, ‘God is with us.’” Joseph did as the angel commanded and took Mary as his wife.
Thoughts:(Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- By his human attraction for Mary, Joseph gets immersed in a divine mystery.
- Both Mary and Joseph had a dilemma.
- Mary could not explain to him what happened and Joseph had to live according to his beliefs.
- Realize the greatness of Joseph. He could have had Mary killed.
- If he did, the Messiah would not have been born and the world would be in total darkness.
- An angel resolves the problem.
- In his darkest hour, Joseph always followed God’s light.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, in my dilemmas, send me your angel of light.
- Give me the faith of Mary and Joseph.
- Let all my decisions be gentle and thoughtful.
- Reveal my role in your Kingdom.
- Thank you, Joseph, for preserving the life of the Messiah.
- O Jesus, you take away my sins.
- You are Emmanuel, God with us. How much I owe to you!
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will enkindle a devotion to Joseph (a favorite patron of St. Teresa of Avila)
- I will seek God’s help in my dilemmas.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Joseph did as the angel commanded.