Come, Holy Ghost. Help me to search for the True Heart of the Temple.
Picture Mary and Joseph hurrying to look for Jesus.
When Jesus was twelve years old, He, Mary and Joseph travelled with others to the temple in Jerusalem to celebrate the feast of Passover, a thanksgiving to God for His goodness and mercy.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- In obedience, Jesus, Mary and Joseph kept the laws of their faith in celebrating the Passover at the temple in Jerusalem.
- This required sacrifice, a long journey, and joining with others for safety in the caravan.
- In the Temple, the House of our Father, Jesus teaches all who will listen that everything we think, say and do must be done for the Glory of the Father, especially bringing Him souls through the merits of Jesus.
- Mary and Joseph suffered anxiety, grief, and sorrow when they could not find Jesus, but persevered in their search until He was found.
- They did not immediately understand Jesus’ actions, but Mary “kept these things in her heart.” This is the heart which was joined to her Son’s, the heart which was obedient to the Holy Spirit in all things, even without understanding.
- Jesus returned home with Mary and Joseph in obedience and love.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Mary, to what temple am I travelling in haste? God’s or the world’s?
- What am I searching for there? What have I lost that I hope to find?
- Am I hoping to find a temple filled with success, honors, friends, money?
- Am I hoping to find the true temple, filled with grace, mercy, hope, love?
- O Mary, Jesus knew that He wanted to be in His Father’s house. You lived your life in the house of obedience and fidelity to the Father and the Holy Spirit.
- Mary’s heart held the Spirit of her Son – in quiet contemplation, in sorrows, in joys, in obedience. May my heart take courage and strength from hers.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will ask Mary to give me her heart so that I can find her Son, Jesus.
+ I will search the temple of my heart to look for the true Treasure of Grace.
+ When I find the Heart of the Temple, I will not leave.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Mary and Joseph searched the temple made by hands, to find the Temple of Life, whose Word made all things.