O Jesus, open my heart to all the messengers you send to me.
(Picture Jesus with His disciples).
This parable shows hostility toward Jesus. The children cannot agree, so their quarrels end their playtime. The cause is laziness. Some children expect others to do the strenuous part of dancing while they just sit around playing instruments. The Jews treated John and Jesus in the same way, complaining about their quite different ministries. This parable has a cutting edge of urgency.
Gospel Text (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- God sends his messengers. He uses various personalities, trying to appeal to all.
- The lazy listeners do not respond. Instead, they criticize the messenger.
- Time runs out. Opportunities for repentance are lost.
- The decisive moment arrives, but no one is prepared.
- Jesus, God’s final messenger has come. The end is near and time is short.
- Time will prove who has acted wisely.
Affections. (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Lord, give me ears that are attentive to your gospel.
- Give me a listening heart so I hear your inner inspirations.
- The time is short, O Lord. Let me respond today, right now.
- If I repent, you will make me your disciple.
- Do not let me ruin my life and waste my years.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
+ God will send his messengers today. I will respond.
+ I will see the fruits of repentance and ask for simplicity of heart.