Prayer: Father, fill me with your compassion.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching his disciples.)
After teaching about loving enemies, Jesus concludes with “Be compassionate as the heavenly Father.” He then stresses the need not to judge others. This will determine what will be measured out to the disciples.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to his disciples, “Be merciful as your Father is merciful. Do not judge and you shall not be judged. Do not condemn and you will not be condemned. If you forgive, you will be forgiven.
Give and it will be given to you, good measure, pressed down and shaken together, flowing over into the fold of your garment. By the same measure that you measure, it shall be measured out to you.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- How merciful the Father is. That is how merciful the disciple must be.
- If we do not judge, God does not need to judge us.
- To be forgiven by God, we need only to forgive others.
- Jesus uses the example of buying grain at the marketplace.
- The seller fills the basket and presses down so he can give even more.
- Finally, he shakes the basket so every inch is filled with grain. This is how a disciple should give.
- People also carried grain in their apron. Jesus promises that his blessing will “flow over the fold of the garment.”
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will approach every person with a merciful and compassionate heart.
- O Lord, you make so many promises and all of them are true
- If I forgive others, you will forgive me.
- Such a great reward for such a little effort!
- Fill me, Lord. Press your favors into my heart.
- Shake me so you can fill me even more.
- O Jesus, I give you little and you give me much.
- My heart overflows, incapable of receiving all you give.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will ask Jesus to make me a generous person.
- Today, I will see who needs my compassion and forgiveness.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation
Give and it will be given to you in full measure.