Prayer: Come, Jesus. Anoint me to preach your Kingdom.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus preparing his apostles for their missionary journey.)
Jesus now makes his apostles into missionaries. He calls them and gives two powers – to drive out demons and to heal. He tells them how to act and what to preach. For the first time, others will use Jesus’ powers.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus called his twelve disciples together and gave them authority to expel unclean spirits and to heal every disease and illness.
Jesus sent them on mission as the Twelve, after giving them the following instructions. “Do not go to the Gentiles or to the Samaritans. Go to the lost sheep of Israel. When you go, you are to preach, ‘The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick. Raise the dead. Cleanse the lepers. Cast out devils. Do this freely, for you have freely received.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus sends forth his most dedicated group – the Twelve.
- He gives them extraordinary powers, – to cast out devils and to heal every illness.
- They must not go to Gentile villages nor to Samaritan towns.
- Their goal must be Israel, the special object of Jesus’ love.
- They say only one thing. “The Kingdom is at hand.” At this point, that is all they understand.
- They will do extremely well because they obey Jesus and use his powers.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, call me. I will dedicate my life to the Kingdom.
- Show me where to go and what to do.
- Give me the power to preach and persuade.
- Help me to lead my family and friends to faith.
- Jesus, give me a simplicity of lifestyle.
- Jesus, the Kingdom is at hand and everyone must know it.
- How great is the need for all to hear the message! The time is short and You are coming soon.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- In my own little way, I will announce the Kingdom to everyone.
- I will believe that Jesus will equip me with His powers.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
When you preach say, “The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Then, heal the sick.