Prayer – O Jesus, help me to respond to your call.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus on the mountain calling his twelve apostles.)
The mountain top symbolizes Jesus’ closeness to the Father and the great importance of this decision. These twelve apostles represent the new twelve tribes of Israel. Both the names of the tribes and the names of the twelve are inscribed in the heavenly Jerusalem. (Rev. 21:12 and 14). So, this call is decisive. After Jesus’ decision, these disciples form a new group, called “The Twelve.”
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus went up the mountain and summoned those whom he wanted and they came to him.
He appointed twelve (whom he also named apostles) that they might be with him and he might send them forth to preach and to have authority to drive out demons. He appointed the twelve: Simon, whom he named Peter; James, son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James. (These he named Boanerges, that is, sons of thunder); Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James, the son of Alphaeus; Thaddeus, Simon the Cananean, and Judas Iscariot who betrayed him.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- The mountain symbolizes the importance of this call. Jesus made his decision in union with the Father.
- Jesus wants these Twelve to be his closest companions.
- They will have clear tasks, to preach the gospel and to drive out demons.
- They are important to the Early Church which carefully recorded their names.
- Jesus does not yet send them out. For now, they must stay with Jesus.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, how important is your call upon my life. From that call comes all your blessings.
- O Jesus, if I am faithful, you will draw me close. You will call and say “Come with me.”
- You want me to be your companion and to extend your Kingdom.
- You call my name. What a privilege to hear my name on your lips.
- Jesus, you will send me out. After I become your good friend, you will send me to your vineyard.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Today, I will listen for Jesus’ call.
- I will offer my life to Jesus. I will step forward and give myself.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Jesus summoned those whom he decided on.