Prayer: O Jesus, use your powers for me. Then, I will follow you wherever you go.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus healing the sick.)
This text manifests Jesus’ great powers but it also shows his desire to avoid the limelight and to preach in other towns to complete his mission. The crowds want Jesus to stay with them.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
When Jesus left the synagogue he came to Peter’s house. His mother-in-law had a high fever and they interceded for her. Standing over her he commanded the fever and it left her. Rising immediately, she waited on them.
When the sun went down, all who had people sick with a variety of diseases brought them to Jesus. He laid his hands and healed all of them. The devils departed from many. They cried out, “You are the Son of God.” Jesus rebuked them and did not allow them to speak, for they knew he was the Messiah.
In the morning he went to a desert place but the crowds searched and found him, asking him not to depart from them. He said, “I must preach the Kingdom of God to other cities. This is why I am sent. And he preached in the synagogue of Galilee.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
1. The disciples have caught on. Jesus can heal. So they plead with him to heal Simon’s mother-in-law.
2. Jesus stands over her in complete authority and rebukes the fever, as if the disease were an evil spirit which has no right to possess the woman.
3. Having heard the stories of Jesus, the crowds have great faith. At sundown, (after returning from work), they bring the sick.
4. Jesus’ power heals all and drives out the evil spirits. His victory is complete and total.
5. The crowd wants these blessings to continue, but Jesus realizes that he must go to all the synagogues of Galilee.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, remove the fever of my disordered passions.
2. In your authority, cast from me every evil. I will bring you all of my anxieties.
3. I know these stories of your powers. Like the crowds, I will come to you with my weaknesses.
4. Make your victory complete. Touch my whole life. Touch my body and soul, my past and present.
5. The Father sent you to the whole world. You go everywhere. You even come to me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will have total faith in Jesus’ love for me.
2. I will hold nothing back from his touch.
Thought for today: (To recall your meditation)
I must preach the Kingdom of God to other cities.