Prayer: O Jesus, use your power to cleanse me.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus in the synagogue.)
Rejected by the people of Nazareth, Jesus establishes his new base at Capernaum. The people receive him and, upon entering the synagogue, he casts out an unclean spirit. The people praise him and spread his fame throughout the whole region.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus went to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and he taught on the sabbath. All were astonished at his teaching because his words had power.
In the synagogue was a man with an unclean spirit who cried out in a loud voice, ‘Let us alone. What have we to do with you, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God.”
Jesus rebuked him and said, “Be still and come out of him”. After the devil had thrown him on the floor, he left him and did him no harm. Awe came upon everyone and they asked, “What is the power of his words? He commands the unclean spirit with authority and power, and they leave.” His fame kept spreading throughout the whole region.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- The people sense Jesus’ authority in the power of his teaching.
- Jesus’ holiness forces the unclean spirit to reveal himself. He will soon lose his hold upon the man.
- Satan’s keen intellect sees quickly. Jesus is the Holy One and he can destroy the devil.
- The devil is powerless. He throws the man to the floor but that is all he can do. The man is free forever.
- The people were already in awe. After seeing Jesus’ cast out the demon, their enthusiasm spills over to the whole countryside.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I see your power and authority. You are the Christ.
- O Jesus, cleanse and purify. Set me free of my hidden evils.
- Jesus, You are the Holy One who comes to save, not to destroy.
- Set me free, Jesus and I will be free forever.
- I will tell everyone of your power. You can free them, also.
- Jesus, set the whole world free from the Evil One.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will bring to Jesus all my inner evils.
- I will seek the freedom given to the children of God.
Thought for the today: (To recall your meditation)
He commands the unclean spirits with authority and power.