Prayer: – O Jesus, let me sit at your heavenly table.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus at the banquet)
In Jesus’ time, the most important guests would arrive last. If someone took too high a place they would have to move down to the lower places.
Jesus uses this teaching on taking the last place at table, to highlight God exalting the disciple on the last day. The parable calls for self-abasement so the disciple can sit in an important place at the heavenly banquet.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
When Jesus saw that the invited guests chose the first seats at table, he said, “When you are invited to a wedding, do not sit down in the first place. Someone more important than you might be invited.
Then the host will say to you, “Give this man your place. Then, you would go, with great shame, to the lowest place.
Instead, when you are invited, go and sit at the lowest place. When the host comes and says, “Friend, go up higher”, you shall enjoy great honor among all those at table.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. The wedding banquet is the final judgment. The host is Jesus himself. The guest is a disciple.
2. Jesus is not teaching the disciple how to look good by taking the lowest seat. He describes the attitude the disciple must have to enter heaven.
3. Whoever who feels they deserve a high place in the Kingdom is self-righteous, trusts in his own abilities and will be humbled on the last day.
4. The one who thinks little of his accomplishments and believes that he belongs among the marginal and lowly, will be told by Jesus “to go up higher” on the last day.
5. In the Kingdom, the disciple does not choose his place. The Father already has it ready.
Affections: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. O God, you want to exalt me, to send me higher and higher in your Kingdom.
2. O Jesus, your favors are everywhere. They are abundant and flowing over. You have seats for all the guests.
3. I will take the lowest seat. However, I know your secret. You will lift me higher.
4. Your plan is perfect for me. You have already arranged everything. Please help me to follow your ways.
5. How joyfully I will hear your words, “Enter into my Kingdom” and then “Go up higher.”
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will think all day of Jesus’ great generosity.
2. I will humble myself, knowing that God will exalt me.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
When you go up higher, you shall enjoy great honor in the sight of others.