Prayer: O Jesus, never let me reject you and lose your blessing.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching in the synagogue of Nazareth.)
In Luke’s gospel, Jesus works some early miracles in Capernaum. Then, He returns to Nazareth and goes to the synagogue. He gives his inaugural speech, outlining all he hopes to accomplish. The reception is violent but Jesus escapes.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
After preaching in Capernaum, Jesus returned to Nazareth where He was raised. He entered the synagogue and was given the book of Isaiah to read. He unrolled the scroll and read, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me. He has anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; to heal the brokenhearted; to deliver the captives, to give sight to the blind, to set free the oppressed, and to declare a year acceptable to the Lord.”
Sitting down, he said, “Today, this scripture passage is fulfilled in your ears.” The hearers were impressed. However, some said, “Is this not the son of Joseph?” Jesus replied, “I am sure you are saying, ‘Do here all the things that you have done in Capernaum’. A prophet is never welcomed in his own town.”
The hearers were filled with anger and they tried to throw him off the hill. He, however, passed through their midst.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
1. Jesus explains the source of his divine power, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me.”
2. He helps the marginal people – the poor, the sick, the captives, the oppressed.
3. His ministry will bring about “a time of favor to the Lord.”
4. Unfortunately, his hearers refuse to accept Jesus’ claim that God has anointed him.
5. They lose all his blessings. They have no faith and he can do nothing for them.
6. They attempt to kill Jesus, but only the heavenly Father will determine the hour of his death.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. Jesus, you are the anointed one of God. The Father sent you. Let me not reject you.
2. Lord, you love me because I am poor, sick, oppressed, blind and captive to my sins.
3. Your powers change me permanently. They give me a life which is “acceptable to the Father.”
4. If I accept you, I will receive all of your blessings and favors.
5. Jesus, come to my synagogue, today. Proclaim your word in my heart. Work your wonders in my soul.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will not lose Jesus’ blessings today.
2. I will ask Jesus to anoint me with his Holy Spirit.
Thought for Today: (To recall your meditation)
“The spirit of the Lord is upon me. He has anointed me.”