Prayer – O Jesus, teach me to set aside everything for love of you.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus surrounded by his disciples.)
After the rich young man walked away, Jesus commented on the difficulty of the rich entering the Kingdom of God. In today’s text, Peter is a model disciple and Jesus spells out the rewards for all who follow.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Peter said to Jesus, “We have put everything aside to follow you. What can we expect? “ Jesus responded, “I give you my solemn word, in the new age when the Son of Man takes his seat upon a throne befitting his glory, you who have followed me shall likewise take your places on twelve thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel.
Moreover, everyone who has left brothers or sisters, or fathers or mothers or children or lands for my sake will receive many times more and will inherit everlasting life. Many who are first shall be last and the last shall come first.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Peter states the truth. He and the other apostles have left everything behind.
- Jesus proclaims a new age, when he will come in glory.
- The new believers were already experiencing these blessings. By sharing their properties, they had access to many homes.
- Leaving behind their natural family, they discover so many others in God’s family.
- The great rewards would be “in the age to come”, everlasting life with Jesus and a sharing in his resurrection.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, teach me how to leave everything behind and follow you.
- You give peace of soul and freedom from sins.
- Other believers become my brothers and sisters, the great blessing of faith relationships.
- Teach me to be a brother and sister to others.
- What will my life be “in the age to come?”
- Jesus, what is it like to live with you forever? Don’t let me lose your eternal gift.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will make a sincere effort to detach myself today from some material goods.
- I will think about Jesus’ promises. (He always keeps his word.)
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
And in the age to come, everlasting life.