Come, Holy Spirit. Give to me Joseph’s fidelity to God’s plan.
Picture Joseph receiving the angel’s message.
Luke tells us about Mary accepting her role as Mother of God. In Matthew’s gospel, the stories focus on Joseph’s dilemma. How does an upright Jewish man resolve the dilemma of a pregnant wife? Joseph is a just man.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- By his human attraction for Mary, Joseph gets immersed in a divine mystery.
- Both Mary and Joseph had a dilemma.
- Mary could not explain to him what happened and Joseph had to live according to his beliefs.
- Realize the greatness of Joseph. He could have had Mary killed.
- If he did, the Messiah would not have been born and the world would be in total darkness.
- An angel resolves the problem.
- In his darkest hour, Joseph always followed God’s light.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, in my dilemmas, send me your angel of light.
- Give me the faith of Mary and Joseph.
- Let all my decisions be gentle and thoughtful.
- Reveal my role in your Kingdom.
- Thank you, Joseph, for preserving the life of the Messiah.
- O Jesus, you take away my sins.
- You are Emmanuel, God with us. How much I owe to you!
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will enkindle a devotion to Joseph (a favorite patron of St. Teresa of Avila).
+ I will seek God’s help in my dilemmas.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Joseph did as the angel commanded.