Prayer: O Jesus, when I join with others, you are in our midst.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus gathered with his disciples.)
Jesus has just spoken of the shepherd seeking out wandering sheep. This sheep represents a disciple who has left the Church and the
Church must seek him out. This gospel tells the individual believer that he must seek out
someone who has sinned and try to reconcile him. In the final
verses of this passage, Jesus stresses the power of
communal prayer and his real presence in the Church assembly (two or three gathered).
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
If your brother offends you, go and point out his fault.
This will be between you and him. If he listens to you,
you have won your brother over.
If he does not listen, take one or two more, so that the word of two or
three witnesses shall stand. If he does not listen, tell the Church. If he does not listen to the Church, then treat him as you would a
Gentile or a tax collector.
I say to you. Whatever you shall bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven. Whatever you shall loose on earth, shall be loosed in heaven.
I say to you. If two or three of you join your voices about anything on earth,
it shall be granted by my Father in heaven. Where two or three gather in my name,
I am in their midst.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus always wants his disciples gathered together. A lonely disciple will not persevere.
- If a disciple strays, another must pint out his fault. Then he has gained his brother. The sheep is brought back.
- Sometimes, the errant disciple resists the invitation. The church can only declare him an outsider, hoping that he repents.
- The power of the church exists even in its smallest gatherings (two or three).
- When they gather in his name, Jesus is fully present.
- This gathering enjoys the full powers of heaven.
Affections. (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, send me other believers. I will be of one heart with them.
- O Jesus, let me call back those who have lost their way.
- Help me to gather with others.
- I will join my voice with others and we will shake the heavens!
- You are with us, Jesus. You abide. You stay. You bless us.
- Help us to gather. Never let us scatter. O, Holy Spirit, make us one!
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will commit myself to be together with others.
- I will try to seek out the strayed Catholic.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Where two or three gather, I am in their midst.