O Jesus, open my ears to hear your gospel and my tongue to speak your word.
Picture Jesus healing the deaf and dumb man.
Since the Ten Cities are outside of Israel, Jesus becomes a preacher to the Gentiles. Because the Gentile crowd might not understand, he takes the man aside and performs a healing ritual (almost like a sacrament.) As usual, the crowd disobeys Jesus’ command and tells everyone. As a result, many are in awe.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The crowd initiates this healing. They bring the man to Jesus.
- They believe that Jesus can heal by the laying on of hands.
- The man himself is passive, so Jesus needs to take him away from the crowd.
- Jesus’ power comes through two actions. Placing his hands in his ears and spittle on his tongue.
- The results are full and immediate. All this power comes from Jesus.
- The wonderful crowd sees their faith in Jesus fulfilled, and tells everyone.
- They have the highest esteem for Jesus. He does all things well.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, I come to you in faith. Lay your hands of power upon me.
- Take me aside. Teach me. Instruct me. Work your wonders in me.
- Let me receive your sacraments often. These contain all your power.
- Open my ears. Let me hear your words. Let me understand your mysteries.
- Loosen my tongue. I will proclaim your mighty deeds.
- You do all things well, Jesus. Your actions on my behalf are perfect.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ Today, I will have great faith in what Jesus will do for me.
+ I will speak of Jesus to my friends. They, too, can receive.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Immediately his ears were opened and he began to speak.