O Jesus, I will put your word into practice so my house will always stand.
Picture Jesus with His disciples.
Jesus chooses an example from the people’s daily experiences. In Israel, the rains come suddenly. A dry canal becomes quickly a raging stream. This parable is an excellent example of the sudden, unexpected moment of trial or judgment.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus speaks this parable to believers. All of these have heard his words.
- Some are wise enough to put the words into practice. Others are foolish and do not live out the words.
- Both houses are the same. The difference lies in their foundations of strong rock or of weak sand.
- The wind, the rains and the floodings are the moment of truth, the time of reckoning. Both houses experience the same destructive powers.
- The results are completely opposite. One remains unharmed. The other collapses. Jesus warning is stark and evident. You must build your life on God’s word.
- O Jesus, I have your word. I know your teaching. I will act. I will put into practice.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, your word is abundant. I must act on it.
- O Lord, what do I build my life on? The rock of your teaching or the sand of my desires?
- Let your word, O Lord, penetrate my heart!
- How can I build my life on your word unless I meditate on it daily!
- O Lord, if I live by your word, my life will not collapse.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will apply these meditations to my daily way of acting.
+ I will honestly examine the parts of my life built upon sand.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
The wise man built his house upon rock.