Prayer: O Jesus, you were lifted up on the cross to save me.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching Nicodemus)
This gospel contains the famous John 3:16 verse about God so loving the world. It explains that God’s motive was to save, not to condemn. However, anyone who rejects this light is subject to God’s judgment.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to Nicodemus, “Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up so that whoever believes in him may not perish, but may have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, so that whoever believes in him may not perish but may have everlasting life. God did not send his Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved by him.
Whoever believes in him, will not be condemned but whoever does not believe in him is already condemned because he does not believe in the name of God’s only Son.
The Judgment is this. The light came into the world and men loved the darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who practices evil hates the light. He does not come near it so his deeds are not exposed. But whoever acts in truth comes into the light so his works can be clearly seen as done in the light.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- When the Israelites in the desert disobeyed God, they grew sick from a serpent’s bite.
- God provided the remedy. When Moses nailed a bronze serpent to a cross, whoever gazed on it was saved. (Numbers C21)
- This story prefigured Jesus being lifted up on the cross to save us.
- God sent Jesus because “he so loved the world”.
- Through faith in Jesus, all can be saved.
- Jesus is the eternal light.
- Evil people do not want this light. It reveals their deeds.
- Good people rejoice to have their deeds revealed. They act in truth.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, you were lifted up on the cross for me.
- Only your cross can save me from eternal death.
- Father, loving me so much, you sacrificed your Son to save me.
- I believe. I accept you, Jesus. You are the Father’s only begotten Son.
- Come Jesus. Reveal my heart. Make me a child of light.
- Open my heart to light and truth.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will thank Jesus for dying on the cross.
- I will bring all my sins into Jesus’ light.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
God so loved the world that he gave his only Son.