Prayer: O Jesus, let me follow you to Jerusalem.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus walking with his disciples)
As Jesus begins his journey to Jerusalem, he encounters people who reject him. He has to pass through Samaria which was between Galilee (North) and Jerusalem (South). The Samaritans themselves were enemies of the Jews, and would not welcome Jesus. However, after Pentecost, Samaria is very receptive when Philip preaches the gospel. (Acts C8)
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
When the days of his being taken from this world were to be accomplished, Jesus steadfastly set his face toward Jerusalem. He sent messengers ahead to prepare his way through a Samaritan town, but the Samaritans would not welcome him because he was on his way to Jerusalem.
When his disciples, James and John, saw this, they asked “Lord, would you not have us call down fire from heaven to destroy them?” Jesus turned only to reprimand them. Then he set off for another town.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus ascends to Jerusalem. From there, he will ascend into heaven. Jerusalem is just a stepping stone.
- He is “resolved to proceed”. His face is firmly set. Otherwise, he would turn back from his cruel death.
- Samaria loses its opportunity to help Jesus. Like Nazareth, it has rejected the prophet.
- John and James react from human feelings, wanting immediate vengeance. Jesus rejects their anger.
- Jesus will take another route, blessing some other places. This is how God always acts, giving to others the blessing rejected by some.
- Samaria, however, repented at the preaching of Philip. They did not miss out when God gave them a second chance.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will accompany you. I will go with you to Jerusalem. Wait for me. I am coming.
- O Lord, the gifts of your death and rising await me in Jerusalem.
- O Jesus, you can enter my city anytime. My heart is always open to you.
- You are so patient. You do not call down fire. You wait for me to repent.
- How I have failed to listen! No more. Send your word and I will take it into my heart.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will be steadfast in my decision to lead a devout life.
- I will go to Jerusalem, seeking always God’s will for me today.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
When his days of being taken from this world came, Jesus set out for Jerusalem.