Prayer: Come Holy Spirit. Teach me the overwhelming kindness of God.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with His disciples.)
Because the family went to bed early and would sleep in the same room, this request for bread disturbs the whole family. They are in the middle of their sleep and with the door bolted. Yet, the spirit of hospitality would overcome all that. Any refusal would be impossible and unthinkable.
The parable contains the words, “Can you even imagine…”. In other words, it is totally unthinkable that the man would not get up for his friend in need. The bread would be returned in the early morning.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said, “You have a friend and you go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves. A friend of mine has come from a long journey and I have nothing to give him.’” Could you even imagine your friend saying, “Do not trouble me! The door is shut. My children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up and give you any bread.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. No one is to blame for this situation. The unexpected arrival was totally unforeseen.
2. In his need, the man knew to turn to his friend.
3. The parable is filled with hospitality. The petitioner has to be thoughtful of his newly arrived guest and the man in bed must respond to his friend’s plight.
4. Both men assume their responsibilities. The one must beg. The other must get up and provide.
5. Both men are clear examples of God who always responds with the greatest thoughtfulness.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. How close you are to me, O God! You have forged your bonds of friendship.
2. Lord, teach me to turn to you. You are the first one I should think of.
3. Jesus, I can never provide for all my needs. So much of life is unexpected.
4. I have no security, except in you. You are my rock.
5. Jesus, nothing is too much trouble for you. To refuse me would violate your eternal hospitality.
6. How I rejoice at your unthinkable kindness!
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
1. I will think often of God’s inconceivable kindness.
2. I will not hesitate to turn to God in great faith.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Can you even imagine the man refusing to open the door?