O Lord, help me to hear your word and keep it.
Picture Jesus speaking to the crowds when a woman shouts out.
This spontaneous cry of a woman praises motherhood. Jesus uses this to reveal true holiness which comes when the mature disciple hears and keeps God’s word.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The woman was totally touched by Jesus’ preaching and caught up in admiration.
- She voices her affections, praising Jesus by praising his mother, who gave birth.
- Jesus points the woman’s gaze away from the physical relationship of mother to son.
- He turns her eyes to a relationship that the whole world can have (and which Mary possesses more than any other).
- Everyone on earth can hear God’s word and act upon it.
- God’s word forms their life and shapes their decisions.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, let my heart be caught up in awe and wonder at your deeds.
- Let me express my feeling for you by affections of the heart.
- Let words of praise flow from my lips.
- O Jesus, you invite me to know you. How blessed I am!
- O Mary, you perfectly heard God’s word and kept it.
- O Jesus, I will accept your word, take it into my heart and live according to its light.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ Today I will have praises for Jesus always on my lips.
+ I will read Jesus’ words each day in the gospels.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it.