Prayer– O Lord, help me to hear your word and keep it.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus speaking to the crowds when a woman shouts out).
This spontaneous cry of a woman praises motherhood. Jesus uses this to reveal true holiness, which comes when the mature disciple hears and keeps God’s word.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
As Jesus was saying these things, a certain woman from the crowd lifted up her voice and said to Jesus, “Blessed is the womb that gave you birth and blessed are the breasts which nourished you.” Jesus said, “Rather, blessed are they who hear the word of God and keep it.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The woman was totally touched by Jesus’ preaching and caught up in admiration.
- She voices her affections, praising Jesus by praising his mother, who gave birth.
- Jesus points the woman’s gaze away from the physical relationship of mother to son.
- He turns her eyes to a relationship that the whole world can have (and which Mary possesses more than any other).
- Everyone on earth can hear God’s word and act upon it.
- God’s word forms their life and shapes their decisions.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, let my heart be caught up in awe and wonder at your deeds.
- Let me express my feeling for you by affections of the heart.
- Let words of praise flow from my lips.
- O Jesus, you invite me to know you. How blessed I am!
- O Mary, you perfectly heard God’s word and kept it.
- O Jesus, I will accept your word, take it into my heart and live according to its light.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- Today, I will have praises for Jesus always on my lips.
- I will read Jesus’ words each day in the gospels.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it.