Prayer– O Jesus, you always use your great power to bless us.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with the disciples and the crowds).
All agree that Jesus worked these miracles and cast out Satan. In this gospel, some question the source of his power. Their reasoning is contradictory. Jesus wants only to save the world from Satan’s power. In the final section, Jesus is the stronger man who sets us free.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
As Jesus was casting out a devil, some said, ‘It is by Beelzebub, the prince of devils, that he casts out devils.’ Others tested Jesus by wanting a sign from heaven.
Jesus said, “Every Kingdom divided against itself shall be brought to destruction. Any house torn by dissension shall fall. If Satan is divided against himself how shall his Kingdom stand – since you say that I cast out devils by Beelzebub. By whom do your children cast them out? Let them be your judges. But, if I cast out devils by the finger of God, then the Kingdom of God has come upon you.
When a strong man fully armed guards his courtyard, his possessions go undisturbed. But if a stronger man then he comes upon him and overcomes him, he will take away the arms on which he was relying and distribute his spoils.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- People use many excuses to reject Jesus. They question the source of his powers.
- Jesus confronts this claim. To think that Satan casts out Satan is ridiculous. Satan is too intelligent to divide his house.
- What a powerful image! God only needs his finger to conquer Satan.
- If Satan is being cast out, then the entire Kingdom of God is present.
- Jesus describes the present situation. Satan is heavily armed and keeps secure possession of the whole world.
- Soon, however, all that will change. A stronger man, better armed (Jesus) will soon overthrow Satan and will set us free from his power.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, your powers are true, able to save me and free me.
- O Jesus, cast out all that is dark and satanic in me.
- Let the finger of God come upon me and my house will be in order.
- I see clearly, Jesus. Satan binds all, controls all and plots all. How I need you!
- You have all power. You are fully armed with the Holy Spirit. You break open and set free. Come, Jesus. I await you.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- Every day, I will ask Jesus to break the demonic powers that can bind me.
- I will avoid and renounce all occult involvement.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
If I cast out devils by the finger of God, then the Kingdom of God is upon you.