Prayer: O Jesus, I will go out to meet you.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with His disciples.)
In Jesus’ time, because marriages were delayed for hours until all the arrangements were worked out. Therefore, there were many midnight processions by torchlight with the bridegroom arriving unexpectedly. In this parable, all ten virgin fall asleep. However, some are prepared and others are not. This results in a separation. The foolish are cut off from the wise.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
The Kingdom of heaven is like ten virgins who awaited the coming of the bridegroom. Because his coming was delayed, they all slept. Finally, at midnight, they heard a cry, “The bridegroom is coming, go out to meet him.”
As they arose, the five foolish virgins (who had no oil) said to the others, “Give us some of yours.” The wise virgins responded, “Since there might not be enough for you and us, you must go and buy some.”
So, the foolish virgins went off to buy the oil. The wise virgins met the bridegroom and went to the marriage. Then the door was shut.
When the foolish virgins arrived, they wanted to enter. They cried out, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us.” The Lord answered, “I do not know you.” Jesus said, “Watch, therefore, because you do not know the day or the hour.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- All ten virgins fell asleep and all have brought their lamps. Only the wise have brought oil.
- All hear the same invitation. “Go out to meet the Bridegroom.”
- At this point, some virgins realize they were foolish.
- They need oil to meet the bridegroom and go into the marriage banquet.
- The wise always knew the value of the oil. They were careful to bring it and wise enough not to share it.
- The foolish lose out. They awaken too late to their spiritual situation.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- At Baptism, you gave me the oil of the Kingdom. I must value it.
- O Jesus, at my death, your angel will say, “Go out to meet the Bridegroom.”
- Will I still have oil for my lamp, or will I have lost my oil?
- O Lord, I will buy oil again by repentance and a good confession.
- What is it like to see you? How greatly I will rejoice to “go out and meet the bridegroom.”
- O God, heaven is forever. Once I enter, you will never throw me out.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will always treasure my Baptismal grace.
- If I have lost my oil, I will regain it immediately by Confession, (my “second Baptism”).
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
Some day, I will hear the words, “Go out and meet the Bridegroom.”