Prayer – O Jesus, make me your faithful servant.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus teaching Peter and the others.)
This parable deals with handling responsibility, with being a good servant,
whether in the Church or in daily life. The owner is extremely
fair and generous but he demands high standards.
Jesus describes two kinds of servants, faithful and unfaithful.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Peter said, “Lord, does this teaching refer to us or to all?”
The Lord said, “Whom do you think is the faithful and far sighted
servant whom the Lord sets over his household to dispense their ration
of grain in due time? Blessed is that servant whom, when the Lord comes,
he shall find busy. He will put him in charge of all his property.
However, if that servant says in his heart, ‘My Lord is delayed in coming’
and he begins to beat the housemen and the servant girls, to eat and to
drink and get drunk, will not the Lord come on a day which he does not
expect and at an unknown hour. He will punish him severely and count
him among the untrustworthy.
When much has been given to a man, much will be expected. More will be asked of a man to whom more has been entrusted.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Throughout the parable, the Lord of the house is more than fair. He balances both the reward and the punishment.
- Jesus wants the disciples’ hearts. They must care for his Church.
- He will bless them beyond their wildest imagination, putting them in charge of everything.
- Sometimes, the servant believes the delay is too long. He can enjoy selfish behavior.
- The owner suddenly returns. The actions are revealed. The servant is banished.
- Those servants who have received much will be held to a higher standard. More will be asked of them and their reward will be greater.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, how fair you are. More than fair, you are merciful and generous.
- Entrust me with your tasks. Where do you want me to serve?
- Who else will reward me as you do? Who else can fulfill all my desires? Who else can give me eternal life?
- Do not let me take advantage of your patience. Even if you delay, I will watch.
- O Lord, how surprisingly you will return. I will be ready, a faithful servant.
- Jesus, you expect much. I will give you everything.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will examine my talents. Which ones am I not using for the Lord?
- I will think of the joy of being with Jesus in the heavenly banquet.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Blessed is that servant whom the Lord finds busy when he comes.