Prayer – O Jesus, I will be your vigilant servant.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus with his disciples.)
Jesus describes the perfect disciples. The robe gathered in by a belt shows a man at work. The burning lamps show that the servants are awake. The Master even proceeds to wait on them,
(a reversal of roles which happens in the Kingdom). Jesus spells out his expectations. The disciples must be ready even if he comes at midnight or before sunrise.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to his disciples, “Let your belts be fastened around your waists
and your lamps be burning ready. You are like men who are
waiting for their Lord to return from the wedding s
o that when he comes and knocks, you can open immediately.
Blessed are those servants whom the Lord finds watching when he comes. Amen I say to you, he will put on an apron and make them sit down
at table while he proceeds to wait on them.
Whether he comes at midnight or before sunrise should he find them ready,
it will go well with them.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus tells this parable to his disciples. This is what he expects
of those dedicated to the Kingdom.
- They work hard, with their robes fastened by a belt. At the same time, they are ready to welcome him with their burning lamps.
- They toil on earth but they always have their hearts in heaven, a difficult assignment.
- There must be no delay, no fumbling for the lamp when the Master comes.
This demands a total, single-hearted commitment to the Master.
- The reward is great. The master himself prepares the best of meals.
- The commitment is open ended. There are no office hours. Even if it is midnight or before sunrise, the disciples will be ready.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you have high expectancies of me. I will live up to them.
- Teach me to live in two worlds, doing my work on earth but always keeping my heart for heaven.
- I will always be ready, devoted and single-minded. Only your Kingdom is important.
- What a great eternal reward! I will sit with you in the heavenly banquet. This is your firm promise.
- My commitment has no limit. I do not watch the clock. I watch for you. Come, Lord Jesus.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- Where do I fall short of Jesus’ expectations.
- I will rejoice today because I am called to the heavenly banquet.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Blessed are those servants whom the Master finds watching when he comes.