O Jesus, light your fire in my heart.
Picture Jesus teaching his disciples.
This text contains two separate sayings of Jesus. The first shows his greatest desire – to cast the fire of the Holy Spirit upon all believers. The second speaks about the problems which will arise when people embrace Jesus’ Kingdom.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus suddenly stops his teaching and speaks very personally of his deepest desires.
- He can no longer hold back his great anguish.
- He wants to cast a purifying fire upon the whole earth making the disciples ready for the Kingdom.
- He will pay a heavy price for this gift. His baptism will be a bath of suffering.
- He admits to his great anguish before it is accomplished.
- He sees the sufferings of his disciples which they cannot avoid.
- They cannot have peace at any price. The disciples will encounter family opposition.
- The opposition arises from their closest relatives who will not accept Jesus.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, what a deep love you have for me.
- Send your fire. Purify me. Refine me. Prepare me for your Kingdom.
- What a price you paid! You were in anguish about your death on the cross.
- You even worry about my suffering.
- Should I not be eager for your Kingdom? Am I not your disciple?
- Let nothing hold me back from you Jesus. What is the cost of being your disciple? I will pay it.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ Ask Jesus to place a divine fire in your heart.
+ What obstacles hold you back from a total commitment?
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
I have come to cast fire on the earth.