Prayer– Come, Holy Spirit. Reveal the glory you have prepared.
Imagination: (Picture James and John seeking favors from Jesus.)
Jesus has just told the apostles that he would suffer. James and John, however, want Jesus’ glory. Jesus speaks about drinking from the chalice, meaning both the chalice of his suffering and the Eucharistic chalice celebrated in Mark’s church. Before granting any glory, Jesus must drink the cup.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to Jesus. “Master, we want you to do whatever we ask.” Jesus responded, “What do you want me to do for you?”
“Grant that we may sit, one on your right hand and the other on your left hand in glory”. Jesus replied, “You do not know what you are seeking. Can you drink of the chalice that I will drink of or be baptized with the baptism with which I will be baptized?
They said, “We can.” Jesus said, “You shall indeed drink of the chalice that I drink of, and be baptized with my baptism. However, to sit on my right hand or my left hand, is not mine to give you. It is for those for whom it is prepared.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- These apostles have no idea of the cost of the Kingdom’s glory.
- Jesus tells them that they seek what they do not understand.
- Even with Jesus’ warning, they glibly say that they can drink the chalice.
- Jesus sees the future. They will abandon him in the Garden.
- However, after many failures, they will drink the chalice and will be martyred.
- Such is the Kingdom! God has already prepared each one’s place. His decisions are beyond our comprehension.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, enlighten me about the greatness of your Kingdom.
- O Jesus, I want a place, any place, at your side.
- Pull me into the great mystery of your will.
- Help me to drink your chalice.
- I will be baptized with your baptism of suffering!
- O Jesus, You have already prepared my place in glory.
- I will persevere until the end.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will find time for mental prayer so God can reveal the Kingdom to me.
- I will cherish God’s will, so I gain heavenly glory.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
To sit at my right and my left is for those for whom it is prepared.