O Lord, choose me and send me wherever your word needs to be preached.
Picture Jesus preparing seventy-two more disciples to go to the villages.
Other gospels (Mark and Matthew) record Jesus sending the Twelve. Only Luke mentions this larger number of seventy-two. Obviously, the early Church communities sent out large numbers of missionaries. The instructions given for the seventy-two are almost identical to those already given to the Twelve.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus organizes. He plans. He wastes no time.
- These seventy-two will go to definite villages and Jesus will follow.
- They will face great hostilities – like lambs going among wolves.
- The task is very urgent. There is no time for greeting people and having a chat.
- The disciple is a missionary, a preacher with an important message.
- They must be disciplined, content with whatever food or housing is available.
- If they preach, the village must accept the message. Otherwise, Jesus will not come and they will lose the Kingdom.
- How dreadful will be their punishment on the day of Jesus’ Second Coming.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you have a plan for me, a place in your Kingdom and a task to be accomplished.
- Give me courage against the hostility I will face.
- O Jesus, the whole world must hear and I must speak. How urgent is my task.
- O Lord, I will make any sacrifice and pay any price to bring your word.
- The people must listen. They must respond.
- O Jesus, I will do all I can. Give me your Holy Spirit.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will look for people who need my words about the Kingdom.
+ I will seek out the right way to preach to them. I will see the urgency to spread Jesus’ word.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation.)
Say to them, “The reign of God is at hand.”