Prayer: Come, Holy Ghost. Help me to search for the True Heart of the Temple.
Imagination: (Picture Mary and Joseph hurrying to look for Jesus).
When Jesus was twelve years old, He, Mary and Joseph travelled with others to the temple in Jerusalem to celebrate the feast of Passover, a thanksgiving to God for His goodness and mercy.
Gospel Text (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Each year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, and when He was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers. When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.” And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” But they did not understand what he said to them. He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. In obedience, Jesus, Mary and Joseph kept the laws of their faith in celebrating the Passover at the temple in Jerusalem.
2. This required sacrifice, a long journey, and joining with others for safety in the caravan.
3. In the Temple, the House of our Father, Jesus teaches all who will listen that everything we think, say and do must be done for the Glory of the Father, especially bringing Him souls through the Merits of Jesus.
4. Mary and Joseph suffered anxiety, grief, and sorrow when they could not find Jesus, but persevered in their search until He was found.
5. They did not immediately understand Jesus’ actions, but Mary ‘kept these things in her heart’. This is the heart which was joined to her Son’s, the heart which was obedient to the Holy Spirit in all things, even without understanding.
6. Jesus returned home with Mary and Joseph in obedience and love.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Mary, to what temple am I travelling in haste? God’s or the world’s?
2. What am I searching for there? What have I lost that I hope to find?
3. Am I hoping to find a temple filled with success, honors, friends, money?
4. Am I hoping to find the true temple, filled with grace, mercy, hope, love?
5. O Mary, Jesus knew that He wanted to be in His Father’s house. You lived your life in the house of obedience and fidelity to the Father and the Holy Spirit.