Prayer: – Lord, fill me with faith in your power.
Imagination: (Picture the centurion showing great faith in Jesus’ power to heal.)
The Gentile centurion sends Jewish friends to seek the favor. As Jesus approaches, this Gentile is concerned that Jesus would contract ritual impurity if he entered his house. Jesus notes that he had not found this faith among the Israelites. The Early Church especially loved this miracle which Jesus performed at a distance for a Gentile.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
When Jesus returned to Capernaum, the beloved servant of a centurion was sick to the point of death. Hearing of Jesus, he sent some Jewish elders to him, asking him to come and save his servant’s life. These elders asked Jesus, saying that the centurion was worthy of this. “He loves our nation and has built us a synagogue”.
Jesus went with them. When he was near the house, the centurion sent some friends to say, “Lord, do not trouble yourself. I am not worthy that you should come under my roof. For this reason, I did not see myself worthy to come to you. Say but the word and my servant shall be healed.” Jesus marveled at this and said to the crowd, “I have not found such great faith in Israel.” When the messengers returned home, they found the servant well.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. From the very beginning, the centurion sees himself as unworthy. Therefore, he sends Jewish friends to ask.
2. His long years of charity have won him a place in these Jewish hearts.
3. Seeing the man’s worthiness, Jesus sets out immediately.
4. The man is caught in a dilemma. He wants the servant healed but he does not want Jesus defiled by entering his house.
5. Faith provides an alternative. The centurion believes that Jesus can heal from a distance.
6. Jesus praises his great faith and performs the miracle.
7. How many virtues the centurion has – humility, love for Jewish friends, love for his servant and unbounded faith.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, how unworthy I am to receive your favors.
2. Lord, I will be kind to the needy. They will speak to you on my behalf.
3. O Jesus, you do not delay. You come quickly.
4. Give me unbounded faith. You can do anything, anywhere, at any time.
5. O Jesus, say but the word and my soul will be healed.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
1. I will care for the needy, day in and day out.
2. I will have unbounded faith. Jesus can do anything.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
I have not found such faith in Israel.