O Holy Spirit, anoint me with your powers.
Picture Jesus sending forth his 12 apostles.
This text looks forward to the Church, when the Holy Spirit will send the apostles to the whole world. Jesus’ words reflect what actually happened. The small Church communities sent forth preachers to the whole world.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus trusted that these apostles would tell the whole world. How important is the preacher of the word!
- The apostles only proclaim that the Kingdom is at hand. Even they do not yet understand this Kingdom.
- However, they can heal and cast out demons to show the power of this Kingdom.
- Because they preach a heavenly Kingdom, they must set aside earthly comforts.
- Any village which rejects them receives no blessing. Even the dust will not enter the Kingdom.
- The apostles start immediately. They set out. The Kingdom is important and people must hear about it.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you entrust this task to me. You believe in me. You depend on me.
- Your Kingdom is powerful, healing people and setting them free.
- Unleash your powers in our midst.
- O Jesus, I will proclaim the Kingdom is at hand.
- I will set aside earthly comforts because your Kingdom deserves my whole heart.
- I will set out, Jesus. I will not wait. Tomorrow is too late. Your Kingdom is coming.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will try to listen to God. What does he want me to do?
+ In Jesus’ name, I will pray that people be cured and set free.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
He sent them forth to proclaim the Kingdom and to heal.