Prayer: O Holy Spirit, help me to hear and act upon God’s word.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus surrounded by the crowds.)
Jesus forms a new family. This family is not based upon blood relationships but upon people freely choosing to hear and practice God’s word. To highlight this truth, this text contrasts Jesus’ human family with his new family.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
When his mother and his brothers came to Jesus, they could not reach him because of the crowd. Jesus was told, “Your mother and your brothers are outside, wanting to see you.”
Jesus answered, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act upon it.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. Jesus’ human family standing outside represents people who have not yet received the gospel.
2. They want to see Jesus. This represents the yearning of every human heart.
3. Those inside do see Jesus. He dwells in their presence and teaches them. They are disciples.
4. How did they gain this privilege? They heard God’s word and accepted the invitation.
5. Jesus reveals his gift. All can become members of his new family.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Lord, my religious faith must capture my heart.
2. O Jesus, I do not want to stand outside the door of your Kingdom.
3. I want to see you, Jesus. I desire entrance into your presence.
4. What a treasure to be on the inside and to hear you preach!
5. I will form my life according to your word.
6. Then, I will be in your family.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will read the Bible, (especially the gospels) every day.
2. I will do what the gospel commands me. It is not easy.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
My mother and my brothers are those who hear my word and act upon it.
Note: This text does not speak against Mary. She heard and did God’s word perfectly. She told the angel, “Let it be done according to your word.”