Prayer: O Jesus, You are my Lord.
Imagination: – (Picture Jesus teaching his disciples).
This text has three separate teachings. If the disciple acknowledges Jesus, Jesus will acknowledge him before the Father. If not, then Jesus cannot acknowledge him. The second teaching speaks of people who rejected Jesus in his earthly ministry. They will be given a second chance. This happened to the crowd at Pentecost. (Blaspheming against the Holy Spirit means ascribing Jesus’ powers to the demons). The final scene is the disciple being helped by the Holy Spirit to defend himself in court.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will acknowledge before the angels of God. But whoever denies me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.
Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man shall be forgiven but whoever blasphemes the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.
When they bring you into synagogues and before rulers and authorities, do not be anxious about what you are to say because the Holy Spirit will each you in that hour what to say.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. Jesus wants you to always think of the moment when you will come before him.
2. That is the all-important moment. All that you have done will be manifested.
3. This is fair. If you told others that Jesus was your friend, Jesus will tell the Father that you are his friend.
4. If you have failed to do this, how can Jesus honestly say that you are his friend?
5. You can always change. God gives you another chance to be Jesus’ friend.
6. The gospel describes an earthly court room, a disciple on trial for his faith.
7. How do you speak the truth in that difficult situation? Don’t worry. The Spirit of Jesus will do the talking.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. Jesus, lift my heart to heaven.
2. O Jesus, after death, I will come before you. Prepare me for that eternal moment.
3. Tell the Father that I am your friend. This is my life’s goal.
4. If I have rejected you, I repent and choose you as my Lord.
5. O Spirit of truth. Help me to speak the truth always. Sanctify my lips. Purify my desires.
6. Come, Lord Jesus. I will await you.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will make my friendship with Jesus known to others.
2. When confronted, I will ask the Spirit to put words in my heart.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will acknowledge before the angels of God.