Prayer – O Lord, I seek no sign or wonder. I seek only you.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus speaking to the crowds.)
Although Jesus’ enemies asked for the sign, Jesus addresses this teaching to the crowds. He cites two Old Testament examples of foreigners having a change of heart. When Jonah preached in Nineveh (a perennial enemy of Israel) the people repented. When the Queen of Ethiopia came to see Solomon, she was totally impressed
with his wisdom and the glory of the temple.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to the crowd, “This is a wicked generation because it looks for a sign. No sign shall be given except the sign of Jonah, the prophet. As Jonah was a sign to the Ninevites, so shall the Son of Man be to this generation.
The Queen of the South shall rise in judgment upon the men of this generation
and shall condemn them because she came from the ends of the earth to
hear the wisdom of Solomon. Behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
At the judgment, the citizens of Nineveh will rise along with this
generation and shall condemn it. At the preaching of Jonah they did
penance, but you have a greater than Jonah here.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- People want signs to satisfy their intellect. Really, they should be surrendering their heart.
- A sign satisfies curiosity. It does not get people to repent.
- Jesus gives the whole world the greatest sign, his rising from the dead.
- Jesus cites the Queen’s change of heart. She repented just by hearing Solomon speak. What is Solomon compared with Jesus?
- The hated Ninevites repented when Jonah spoke. Who is Jonah compared to Jesus?
- Jesus speaks about the most important moment of all. Every person in history will come before him in judgment.
- On that day, the Queen and the Ninevites (both non-Jewish) will condemn those who did not repent.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, give me no sign. Just give me yourself.
- You are risen from the dead and I will rise with you. Alleluia!
- Change my heart, Jesus. Turn me totally to Your way of life.
- They repented when Jonah preached. I will repent at your word.
- Send me your Spirit of repentance.
- Only the moment of judgment is unchangeable. When I come
to you after my death, let me be your friend.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will think today about this Sign of Jonah – the miracle of Jesus’ rising.
- I will ponder Jesus’ claim that he is greater than all other teachers.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)