O Lord, you care for the sparrows. You will care also for me.
Picture Jesus teaching the dense crowds.
This text has 2 parts. Having denounced the Pharisees to their face, Jesus is surrounded by crowds. However, he speaks to his disciples. He calls the Pharisee teaching, hypocrisy and speaks of the Final Judgment when all will be revealed. Then, he prophesies that his friends will be threatened and even killed. They are not to fear.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Although surrounded by these dense crowds, Jesus instructs his disciples because they are so important.
- He points out a false road. They must not follow the Pharisees’ teaching.
- This teaching is superficial and cannot prepare for the Kingdom.
- Then, Jesus turns to a more serious topic. His friends will face death.
- The person who kills the body need not be feared. The person who endangers their soul must be feared.
- God loves even the sparrows who are sold for sacrifice. He does not abandon them in death.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you take time with me. You teach me. I am important to you.
- Let me see what is true, what endures, what is worth sacrificing for.
- Point out the false roads. Save me from fruitless efforts.
- Never let me take the wrong paths.
- I am your friend, Jesus. You have won my heart. I give you my life.
- Remove any fear of death. Be with me so I persevere.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ During the day, I will renew my consecration to Jesus Christ.
+ I will not let any threats make me deny what I believe.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Fear nothing. You are worth more than a flock of sparrows.