Prayer: O Jesus, free me from fear so I acknowledge to all that I am your disciple.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus speaking with his apostles).
Jesus is sending his apostles to preach the Kingdom. This is all new for them. Jesus foresees that they will be persecuted and could easily fear, resulting in their
failure to acknowledge him before men. This teaching not to fear is always needed. Until the end of time, anyone who preaches Jesus will be intimidated by others.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to his apostles, Do not fear men who intimidate you, because nothing is
hidden which will not be revealed and nothing concealed that will not become known. What I tell you in darkness, speak in the light. What you hear in private, preach
on the housetops.
Do not fear those who can kill the body but are not able to kill the soul. Fear only those who can destroy both body and soul in hell.
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And yet, not one of them falls to the
ground without your Father knowing it. As for you, the very hairs of your head are numbered. Therefore, do not fear. You are worth more than many sparrows.
Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father. Whoever disowns me before men, I will disown before my heavenly Father.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus’ teachings are hidden in the hearts of the disciples. At this point, they bless only the disciples.
- That will change. The apostles will go to all the world. By their preaching, Jesus’ words will be known everywhere.
- The person preaching Jesus’ word will face persecution and possibly, death.
- Jesus must tell them that losing bodily life is not to be feared.
- They are more valuable to the Father than any other part of creation.
- The final result is clear. If they preach and are killed, Jesus will acknowledge them. If they cease to preach and disown Jesus, he must disown them.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, plant your word deeply in my heart.
- I will make it known from the housetops.
- O Jesus, I will multiply your word to the nations.
- O Jesus, what a joy to be the instrument of your word.
- How the Father values me. He called me to spread Jesus’ word.
- Help me to fear no one, especially those who would steal heaven from me.
- O Jesus, you will acknowledge me before the Father. You will say, “He spread my word.”
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will drink fully of Jesus’ words.
- I will share my faith with others.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
Nothing is secret that will not be made known.