Prayer – O Jesus, let my heart receive your word.
Imagination- (Picture Jesus teaching the crowds).
In this part, Jesus explains the parable and a shift takes place. The original parable highlighted the great power of the seed. This explanation highlights the way each person receives the seed.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
When they were alone, the disciples asked about the parables. Jesus said, “You are given to know the mystery of the Kingdom of God. To the outsiders, all is given in parables so they will look intently but not see, listen carefully but not understand, lest they be converted and their sins forgiven. He said, “The seed is the word. Those by the wayside are the ones who, as soon as they hear, Satan comes and takes away what was sown.
Those on rocky ground are people who hear the word and immediately receive it with joy, but they have no root and last only a short time. When trials and persecutions arise because of the word, they falter. Those sown among thorns are those who hear the word but the cares of the world, the attractions of riches and their desires for things choke the word and make it fruitless. Those sown on good ground are those who hear the word, take it to heart and yield fruit, thirty, sixty, a hundredfold.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus’ parables appeal to the heart. If the person’s heart is right, he will understand the meaning. If his heart is not right, he will remain in darkness.
- Some believers do not protect the seed. They do not treasure it. Satan, like a bird in the sky, can easily steal it away.
- Some believers do not allow the seed to claim their heart. They are superficial and easily surrender their faith, as if it is of no value.
- Some believers mix the seed with their other desires, wishing to have both heaven and earth.
- Inevitably, worldly possessions and selfish desires claim their heart. What comes forth is choked.
- True believers treasure the seed because it is precious. They protect it so trials do not destroy. They remove other desires so the seed can grow.
- They rejoice in a super-abundant harvest.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, I must give you my heart. Then, I will understand your parables.
- O Jesus, I treasure your word. Hide it deep within. I do not want it stolen.
- O Jesus, place your friendship at the deepest part of my being.
- Let your word go deep into my heart so a harvest comes forth from me.
- Remove all my selfish and worldly desires.
- O Lord, only Your word contains the seed of eternal life. It alone must claim my heart.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will read the gospels every day.
- In total generosity, I will open my heart to the Kingdom.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
To you are given to know the mysteries of the Kingdom.