Prayer – O Jesus, let the seed of your word flourish within me.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus surrounded by the crowd).
Mark’s gospel has very few parables and most deal with seeds (an image of the Kingdom). Parables are central to Jesus’ teaching and express the themes that are closest to his heart. This text is a parable of hope. Jesus overcomes the disappointment of his disciples, who see many not receiving the Kingdom. Jesus describes Palestinian farming, where the seed is thrown everywhere because the plowing takes place later.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Because a large crowd gathered, Jesus got in a boat to teach them, as they stood on the shore. He taught them in parables. “Listen now, the sower went out to sow. Some seed fell by the wayside and the birds of the air ate them. Other seed fell on stony ground where there was not much soil. It grew quickly but had no deep soil. When the sun rose, it was scorched and withered away because it had no roots.
Some seed fell among thorns. The thorns grew and choked it and there was no yield of grain. Some seed fell on good ground. This seed gave fruit that yielded thirty, sixty or a hundredfold. Whoever has ears to hear, let him hear.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- The seed is God’s word containing the life of the Kingdom.
- God’s word is perfect. All the seeds are equal, filled with the Holy Spirit’s power.
- Jesus preaches to all, and his words enter everyone’s ears. They all hear and receive.
- Some hearts are like rocks, or superficial soil or thorns. Seeds in those hearts produce no harvest.
- Surprisingly, these failures are not important. The farmer has a gigantic harvest.
- The seed is so powerful that when it finds some good soil, it produces an unimaginable harvest.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, plant your Kingdom in my heart.
- Your Kingdom contains every power needed to sanctify me.
- You preach to all. You do not hold back your word. I can receive it whenever I wish.
- O Jesus, look at my heart. It is filled with rocks, and with thorns and is so superficial.
- Jesus, part of my heart is good ground. Pour out your seed and the harvest will be abundant.
- O Jesus, let us rejoice together in a gigantic harvest.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will seek God’s word in the gospels.
- When I hear Jesus’ word, I will receive it with a generous spirit.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Whoever has ears to hear. Let him listen.