Prayer – O Jesus, let me be a member of your family.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus saying to you, “You are my brother and sister and mother.”)
Mark often begins a story, tells another story and then completes the first story. This story begins with the family squabble. (3:20-21) The word, “outside” refers to the family. “Inside” refers to those who do God’s will. Don’t get upset by this story. It doesn’t mean that Mary complains. (Mark never uses Mary’s name. She is entirely absent in this gospel). Mark says “his mother” because he wants to say that the disciple can become Jesus’ mother.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
His mother and his relatives came. They stood outside and sent someone to say, “Your mother and your relatives are outside looking for you.”
Jesus responded, “Who is my mother and my relatives? “ Looking at those seated around him, Jesus said, “These are my mother and my relatives. Whoever does the will of God is my brother and my sister and my mother.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- These complainers are related to Jesus by nature, but not by faith. Therefore, they are outside the Kingdom.
- They act like the world, and try to destroy Jesus’ ministry.
- Those in the house listening to him are insiders. They belong to Jesus’ family.
- Jesus announces a new reality. He is forming a new family of God.
- All who do God’s will are a brother, a sister, or even a mother to Jesus.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, how sorry the state of those who do not know you. They are outside of the Kingdom.
- I want to be inside, someone who knows and does God’s will.
- Form me into your family. Oh, to be a child of God! Nothing is a greater blessing.
- Who can believe your call? Whose heart could imagine your invitation to be a member of your family?
- O Jesus, I will always do God’s will. Then, I will be your brother or sister.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will ponder the great privilege of being a child of God.
- I will seek God’s will all during the day.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Whoever does the will of God is my brother, my sister and my mother.