Prayer – O Lord, put your light on the lampstand of my heart.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus speaking to the disciples.)
This text is really four different sayings which Mark links by opposite words, like hidden/revealed and given/taken away. They are all teachings about the Kingdom.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to the crowd, “Is a lamp acquired to be put under a bushel basket or hidden under a bed? Is it not meant to be set on the lampstand?
Nothing is hidden which will not be revealed. Nothing is secret that will not be told. Let him who has ears to hear me, hear.
He said, “Listen carefully to what you hear. In the measure that you measure out, you shall receive and more beside.
To the one who has, more will be given. To him who has not, even what he has will be taken away.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- In Palestine, a lit candle was put under a basket or a bed, so the people could sleep. That, however, is not where the light of the Kingdom belongs.
- When the Kingdom comes, all will be revealed.
- The disciple must not stay in the darkness.
- Jesus constantly warns. When he gives us his Kingdom we have a responsibility to accept the favor.
- A limited acceptance of the Kingdom means limited blessings (the measure by which you measure).
- If you receive the Kingdom abundantly, you will receive more. If you seek only a little, you will probably lose that also, because you did not appreciate the gift.
Affection: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, let the light of your Kingdom dominate all my desires.
- You see everything, Jesus. You see my desires, my thoughts, my words, my deeds. Nothing is done in darkness.
- When you speak, let my ears hear and my heart respond.
- Your Kingdom is everything to me. I seek nothing else.
- O Jesus, I will make more room in my heart for your Kingdom.
- Multiply the favors of your Kingdom. Never take away what I treasure so much.
Resolutions: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- I will examine my heart. Do I seek only God’s Kingdom?
- I will walk in light and in truth, never in darkness and in lies.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
To him who has, more will be given.