Come, Holy Spirit. Make me great in Jesus’ Kingdom.
Picture Jesus teaching his disciples.
“Law and Prophets” means the whole Old Testament. Jesus wants his Church to retain these books and teach them to his disciples. At the same time, these books are not God’s final word or his greatest gift because Jesus “fulfills” these laws and prophetic words.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- After making us God’s children, Jesus describes how we must live.
- First, disciples must keep God’s word. Secondly, they must teach others to live by God’s word.
- Then, they will be great in the Kingdom. They will be both doers and teachers.
- Disciples must go beyond the limited goodness of the scribes and Pharisees.
- These tasks are heavy but the reward is great. Disciples will live forever in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, you have made me a child of the Father.
- Train me in your word, O Lord.
- O Jesus, plant your truth in my heart.
- Give me a zeal to instruct others in your word.
- May your power make me holy.
- You call me to be great in the Kingdom. I cherish your invitation.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will examine where I do not keep God’s law.
+ I will read the Old Testament to see God’s words to Israel.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Whoever keeps these commandments and teaches others will be great in the Kingdom.