Prayer: O Jesus, let me always believe in You.
Imagination: (Picture John’s disciples questioning Jesus.)
John, in prison, heard about the works which Christ performed and sent two disciples to Jesus to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or do we look for another?” John probably had doubts because he thought the messiah would be quite different. Jesus cites all these healings because Isaiah prophesied them as signs of the Messiah.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
John’s disciples came to him and told him all that was happening in Jesus’ ministry. John sent two of them to Jesus. When they arrived, they asked him, “Are you the one who is to come, or do we look for another?” At that very hour, Jesus was curing many people of their diseases, sufferings and evil spirits. He also gave sight to many who were blind.
Jesus said, “Go and tell John what you have heard and seen. The blind see. The lame walk. The lepers are made clean. The deaf hear. The dead rise. The poor have the gospel preached to them. Blessed is that person who is not scandalized about my ministry.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. John sits in prison, his life’s work almost completed.
2. He is filled with doubts. Was he correct in pointing out Jesus as the Messiah?
3. He has an important question. Are you the Messiah? Are you the one who is to come?
4. Jesus presents all the evidence. He heals the blind, the lame and the lepers. Even the dead rise and testify to Jesus.
5. The gospel does not record the effect of these words upon John or his disciples.
6. Matthew recorded this story for us, so that we believe.
7. God will always do things his way. Do not be scandalized by God’s plan.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, in my doubts, I will come to you.
2. O Jesus, You present all the evidence. I know you are the Messiah.
3. You heal. You cure. You raise from the dead.
4. Jesus, do your work in me. I await your touch.
5. I will be still. I will watch for you. When you finish your work, I will understand what you are doing.
6. You are not a stumbling block. You are the way to the Father.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will ponder the evidence in the gospels.
2. I will believe in Jesus, no matter what confusion arises.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Go and tell John all that you have seen and heard.