Prayer – O Jesus, use your great power to bless ME.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with the disciples and the crowds).
In this text, Jesus meets two enemies. They agree that Jesus worked
these miracles and cast out Satan. Some question the source of his
power and others want a heavenly sign. Jesus destroys their arguments
and claims he is stronger than Satan.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
As Jesus was casting out a devil, some said, ‘It is by Beelzebub,
the prince of devils, that he casts out devils.’ Others tested Jesus
by wanting a sign from heaven.
Jesus said, “Every Kingdom divided against itself shall be brought to destruction. Any house torn by dissension shall fall. If Satan is divided against himself
how shall his Kingdom stand? You say
that I cast out devils by Beelzebub. By whom do your children cast them out?
Let them be your judges. But, if I cast out devils by the finger of God, then
the Kingdom of God has come upon you.
When a strong man fully armed guards his courtyard, his possessions go undisturbed. But if a stronger man than he comes upon him and overcomes him, he will take
away the arms on which he was relying and distribute his spoils.
Thoughts. (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- People use many excuses to reject Jesus. They question his powers or they demand signs.
- Jesus answers their question. To think that Satan casts out Satan is ridiculous. Satan is too intelligent to divide his house.
- What a powerful image! God only needs his finger to conquer Satan.
- If Jesus casts out Satan, then the entire Kingdom of God is present.
- Jesus describes the present situation. Satan is heavily armed and keeps secure possession of the whole world.
- Soon, however, all that will change. Jesus is stronger and better armed. Soon, he will over throw Satan and set us free.
Affections (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, your powers are true, able to save me and free me.
- O Jesus, cast out all that is dark and satanic in me.
- Let the finger of God come upon me.
- O Jesus, Satan binds all, and controls all. How I need you!
- You have all power. You are fully armed with the Holy Spirit.
- You break open and set free. Come, Jesus. I await you.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- Every day, I will ask Jesus to break the demonic powers that can bind me.
- I will avoid all occult involvement.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
If I cast out devils by the finger of God, then the Kingdom of God is upon you.