Prayer: O Jesus, open my eyes. Fill me with faith so I can see who you are.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus speaking with the Samaritan woman at the well.)
This is an astounding story. The first person to whom Jesus reveals that
he is the Messiah is a
Samaritan woman with five husbands. She fully responds, showing that God’s
choice was perfect.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to the Samaritan woman, “Go, call your husband and come back.” She said,
“I do not have a husband.” Jesus said, “You are right because you have had five husbands,
and the one you have
now is not your husband.”
She said, “Sir, I see you are a prophet. I know that the Messiah is coming,
the One called the Anointed. When he comes, he will tell us everything.” Jesus said to her, “I am He, the One who is speaking with you.” The woman left her water jar and went into the town.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.):
- The woman is an outcast. She must come to draw water at noon, when no one else is there.
- The reason is obvious. She had five previous husbands and now a live-in friend.
- Jesus interprets her dishonest reply in a kind way, saying “You are right.”
- She sees that he is a prophet, possibly “the coming Messiah who will tell us everything.”
- Jesus seizes the opportunity. For the first time, reveals his identity as Messiah. This to a woman with five ex-husbands and one lover!
- She grasps this revelation and quickly becomes an evangelist to the townspeople.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, my past sins do not prevent me from receiving your gifts.
- You interpret kindly my dishonest words.
- In you, everything is changed.
- Jesus, you are God’s Anointed One.
- Lord, You are my Messiah and You are coming for me.
- You knock at my heart. Your voice shouts in my soul “I am He. The One Who is speaking with you.”
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will fill this day with hope that Jesus will come to me.
- I will pause during the day so Jesus can speak within.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
“I am he, the One who is speaking with you.”