Prayer – O Lord, prepare me for your coming.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus instructing his disciples).
The Pharisees want to know when the Kingdom would come. The question is futile
because the Kingdom is already present as the Spirit dwells in the believer. A final and total coming of the Kingdom is still ahead.
In the second part, Jesus gives private teaching to his disciples. They won’t have to
search. When the Second Coming arrives all will know. It will be like lightening in the sky –quick and evident.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
The Pharisees asked Jesus when the Kingdom of God would come. He answered, “You cannot tell by careful watching when the Kingdom of God will come. Neither is it a matter of saying, it is “here” or “there”. The Kingdom of God is within you.
He said to his disciples “The days will come when you shall desire to see one day of the Son of Man and you shall not see it. They will say to you that he is here or he is there. Do not go and do not follow them. The Son of Man, in his day, will be like the lightening that flashes from one end of the sky to another. First, however, he must suffer much and be rejected by this present age.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. The Pharisees approach Jesus with curious minds, not sincere hearts.
2. They want to know about his future coming when Jesus is already in their midst.
3. No need for useless searching. God’s Kingdom dwells within.
4. Jesus’ disciples are important in his plan. He gives them special teaching.
5. Jesus teaches two truths. First, running to special places is useless.
6. Second, Jesus will return as the King. All will see him, like lightening in the sky.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, I will seek you in my heart. You always dwell there.
2. You are with me. You are here. I must just be still.
3. You dwell in my soul, and you want me to adore you there.
4. Today, you will come. You will be in my midst.
5. O Jesus, on a very special day, You will come as King.
6. I will not wait. Right now, I make you my King.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
1. Today, I will be awakened to Jesus’ presence.
2. Jesus will be my King for this day.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
The reign of God is already in your midst.