Prayer- O Jesus, to you I give all I have.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus in the temple with his disciples.)
This gospel joins two different scenes which describe two contrasting groups. In the first story, the scribes want everyone to see their goodness while secretly they steal widows’ money. In the second, the widow gives her money in secret. She is the saving hope of Israel.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to the disciples, “Beware of the scribes who like to walk in long robes and to be saluted in the market-places. They want to sit in the first chairs in the synagogue and to have the places of honor at banquets. They devour the savings of widows and recite long prayers for appearance sake. They will receive the greatest judgment.
Taking a seat opposite the treasury, Jesus saw the people putting their money into the treasury. The wealthy put in sizeable amounts. A poor widow came and put in two mites, worth about a penny. Calling his disciples, Jesus said, “Amen I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all the others. The others put in from their abundance, but she gave from her want, all that she had to live on.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus’ criticism of the temple authorities reaches a high point. There is no hope for their repentance.
- Jesus wants to make sure that his disciples do not imitate their practices.
- They are hypocrites, wanting to look devout yet with rapacious hearts.
- This temple scene involves rich people, who give their money but their hearts are still attached to their wealth.
- The widow is different. Her gift comes from her heart. She despoils herself, and trusts in God.
- She is an image of Jesus, Who in a few days will lay down his life for the world.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, do not let my heart grow hardened.
- Never abandon me, Jesus.
- I will not imitate the world’s selfishness.
- Jesus, give me an inner truth, always loyal to you and generous to your people.
- Detach my heart from my wealth. Let me not cling to my possessions. Empty me.
- I will give you everything, until I have nothing left. Then, we will walk together.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will examine my use of money.
- I will be totally honest and sincere in all my dealings.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
She has given from her need. All she had to live on.